Pages



12/2/13

No more sand paper, ever!!!

I had this crazy idea to redo my dining table and chairs a week before thanksgiving. 
My in laws bought this table 30 years ago. It's a great table just was looking a little out of date. 
So, I thought it would be fun and no big deal to sand the seats, and the table top. 
Not so much. I absolutely despise sanding anything. 
Starting the staining process. With staining you have to wipe as you go. Well once I would wipe it down you could not tell I stained anything. I got a little nervous. I went to Home Depot and talked to a helpful guy, and he said since I was working with water based products I could leave it on and not wipe it.
And it worked like a champ. You just have to make sure your brush strokes were even.
I did the chairs first and saved the table for last. I did two chairs at a time. I got two chairs with stain on them then went back to sanding. It gave me a nice break, and kept me constantly working. When it was time to polyurethane I would put a coat on then start painting on the chairs that were finished. My house was an absolute disaster. I sanded in the living room, stained in the kitchen, and painted in the entry hall. I'm so glad my kids are independent. They really just played and knew they weren't allowed to touch all the materials.
For the table I took the leaf out and did that separate. I was able to use my electric sander for a lot of the table. Thank the good lord. This would have taken a good 2-3 days by hand. I didn't have that kind of time. That electric sander makes a HUGE mess. Wow!

I used annie sloan chalk paint to paint the chairs and pedestal. I like that there was no need for sanding prior to painting. My sil has used this paint a few times, so I decided to try it out. I bought a quart of it and it was enough to paint the table and chairs with 2-3 coats. I still have some left over. It's awesome. Definitely worth the price.
I started on a Tuesday night and finished late Monday night. I'm happy with how it turned out, and all the sanding was totally worth it. I just need to apply the wax coat on the paint to keep the chairs from chipping, getting dirty.

No comments :

Post a Comment